Week of Welcome
Week of Welcome is an important time for both you and your student. Just as we intentionally ensure that your student is smoothly introduced and incorporated into the University of Oregon, we believe that you should have a relationship with the university as well. The Week of Welcome schedule includes several events exclusively for parents and family members.
We recognize this year's Week of Welcome falls on Rosh Hashanah. If you or your student would like to celebrate in the Eugene community, our partners at Oregon Hillel are welcoming students and their families to their hosted events. Please visit Oregon Hillel for a full schedule of activities.
Monday, September 18 | Clark Honors College Move-In
- Clark Honors College Reception for new parents and family members (Invite Only)
Wednesday, September 20 | Early Move-In Day
- Parent and Family Lounge, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m | EMU Green
- Come visit the Parents' Lounge during early move in! Meet with faculty, staff, and parent volunteers. Hospitality will be provided. If you were unable to write a letter to your student at IntroDUCKtion, this is your opportunity. Your student is welcome to come along for the fun if they choose!
Thursday, September 21 | Move-In Day
- Parent and Family Lounge, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. | EMU Green
- Join us during move-in day to interact with faculty, staff, and parent volunteers. Hospitality will be available. If you were unable to write a letter to your student at IntroDUCKtion, this is your opportunity. Students may choose to join family members at this event.
- Parent and Family No-Host Social, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. | EMU
- Scholarship Reception (Invite Only)
Friday, September 22 | Parents' Day Off
- SOLD OUT: Parents' Day Off Brunch, 9 a.m. | Matthew Knight Arena
- Begin your day off with brunch and hear from UO leadership. Your student will have required programming at this time, so this is a parent and family only event. Registration is required.
- Parents' Day Off Tours throughout Lane County, 10:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. (Availability updated on 9.6.2017)
SOLD OUT: White Water Rafting Tour will explore a half-day rafting trip on the McKenzie River hosted by High Country Expeditions. Lunch and transportation are provided.
SOLD OUT: Oregon Coast Tour will explore the famous Oregon dunes via Sandland Adventure's giant dune buggies and Old Town Florence. Lunch and transportation are provided. If you would like to be placed on the waitlist for this tour in case of cancellations, please email email@example.com.
SOLD OUT: Hiking the Butte Tour, hosted by UO Outdoor Programs, will take families on a two mile, 900 foot elevation gain hike up Spencer's Butte. Lunch and transportation are provided. There are two times for this tour, a 10:45 a.m. and a 1:45 p.m.
SOLD OUT: Art and Cultural Tour will explore the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art and give families hands on experience with the UO Craft Center participating in activites like glass fusing, tie-dye, and more. Lunch is provided.
Fall Opening Reception: Jordan Schnizter Museum of Art (JSMA), 6 p.m - 8 p.m. Visit the JSMA for a free recpetion celebrating their fall exhibitions, including:
- The Barberini Tapestries: Woven Monuments of Baroque Rome
- Graphic Ideology: Cultural Revolution Propaganda from China
- Barbara MacCallum: Appropriating Science
- Conversations in the Round House: Roots, Roads, and Remembrances
Saturday, September 23 | Game Day
- Football Watch Party: Oregon Ducks at Arizona State, Time 7 p.m. Join Lane County Alumni at the Wild Duck Cafe to cheer on the Ducks.
Sunday, September 24 | Convocation
- Convocation, 3:30 p.m., Matthew Knight Areana. Celebrate your student's University of Oregon beginning.
- Please note, while family members are welcome to join this event, we generally only see a small percentage who stay for this event.
Parent and Family Association (PFA) Members will be invited to register on Wednesday, August 23, via e-mail. All other family members who have information on file with our office will be invited to register on Monday, August 28. To ensure we have your updated contact information, please join the Parent and Family Association (PFA) or select the "Provide Information Only" option on the same form.
Hotel accomodations for these dates fill up quickly, so we highly encourage families to make travel accomodations as early as possible.
When To Arrive and Depart
If your student is moving in on Thursday, September 21, we recommend securing accomodations for Wednesday, September 20. Move-in time assignments were included in your student's housing assignment. Although there is not a home football game during Week of Welcome, most families do choose to stay until Saturday.
Families who wish to observe or celebrate religious holidays which occur during their scheduled move-in time may request an amendment to their move-in day and/or time through University Housing.
Families are welcome at Convocation on Sunday, September 24.
It is important to have a family discussion around how long your student anticipates needing you in the area while addressing your own expectations for Week of Welcome. Students will have required programming starting on Thursday evening and extending until Sunday. Students will have some unscheduled time over those four days. Be strategic about the time you spend together during those four days. It is vital to your student's success that they begin building connections to new friends, University resources, and the campus immediately.
Variable Move-In Dates
Most students move in on Thursday, September 21. There are several campus groups or affiliations that require early move-in dates for their students. Students who are in a First-Year Interest Group, the Oregon Marching Band, or Clark Honors College may have an earlier move-in date, so please have your student work to confirm these dates over the summer. International students will also move-in prior to Week of Welcome.
Additional move-in day information can be found through University Housing.